Chicago, IL - United States
We are as invested in your career as you are.
As you navigate through these uncertain times, know that Pinkerton has been a stable, thriving corporation for over 170 years. As recognized leaders around the globe in the corporate risk management industry, you can rest assured that joining us now means moving to a future-looking company. We are here today, will be here tomorrow, and are a thriving community of over 2,000 risk management professionals.
This is just one of the several exciting career opportunities that are currently available.
JOB SUMMARY: The Investigator conducts various types of criminal, civil, and proprietary investigations, covert surveillance, and background checks. The position will record all findings, obtain written andor recorded evidence, prepare thorough investigative reports, and as needed, testify at legal proceeding andor hearings.
- The functions listed describe the business purpose of this job. Specific duties or tasks may vary and be documented separately. The employee might not be required to perform all functions listed. Additional duties may be assigned, and functions may be modified, according to business necessity.
- All assigned duties or tasks are deemed to be part of the essential functions, unless such duties or tasks are unrelated to the functions listed, in which case they are deemed to be other (non-essential) functions.
- Employees are held accountable for successful job performance. Job performance standards may be documented separately, and may include functions, objectives, duties or tasks not specifically listed herein.
- In performing functions, duties or tasks, employees are required to know and follow safe work practices, and to be aware of company policies and procedures related to job safety, including safety rules and regulations. Employees are required to notify superiors upon becoming aware of unsafe working conditions.
- All functions, duties or tasks are to be carried out in an honest, ethical and professional manner, and to be performed in conformance with applicable company policies and procedures. In the event of uncertainty or lack of knowledge of company policies and procedures, employees are required to request clarification or explanations from superiors or authorized company representatives.
- Represent Pinkerton's core values of integrity, vigilance and excellence.
- Independently develop and execute appropriate investigation strategy for assigned investigations.
- Obtain and verify evidence by interviewing, conducting covert surveillance, and/or through the use of open-source and database information on suspects and witnesses.
- Examine records/data, gather evidence, classify, and differentiate investigative elements.
- Maintain proper evidence chain-of custody.
- Assist in identifying trends and recommend corrective action to client.
- Conduct security risk assessments, workplace violence activities, and crisis interventions.
- Complete investigative reports in a thorough and professional manner.
- Establish partnerships and collaborate with law enforcement agencies.
- Testify at hearings and legal proceedings, as needed.
- Serve as the liaison between the client and Pinkerton to ensure all inquiries/concerns are addressed in a confidential and appropriate manner.
- All other duties, as assigned.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Additional qualifications may be specified and receive preference, depending upon the nature of the position.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be willing to participate in the Company's pre-employment screening process, including drug screen and background investigation.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a reliable means of communication (i.e., email, cell phone).
- Must have a reliable means of transportation (public or private).
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Must have the ability to speak, read, and write English.
- Must have the applicable state and local licenses to conduct investigations.
Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice or a security-related field with a minimum of three years of experience as an Investigator in either the private or public sector.
- Illinois PERC, required.
- Professional Certified Investigator, preferred.
- Experience with complex criminal, civil, and/or proprietary investigations.
- Working knowledge of criminal law and criminal justice rules of evidence, pertaining to theft/fraud and misappropriation issues.
- Hands on knowledge of current federal/state laws governing investigations, evidence collection and handling, civil and criminal proceedings.
- Effective independent judgment/decision-making and problem resolution skills.
- Able to prepare accurate, clear and concise reports.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Able to interact effectively at all levels, including management and across diverse backgrounds.
- Able to prioritize and complete multiple assignments simultaneously while preserving the integrity of the investigation process.
- Serve as an effective team member.
- Computer skills; Microsoft Office.
With or without reasonable accommodation, requires the physical and mental capacity to perform effectively all essential functions. In addition to other demands, the demands of the job include:
- Must undergo and meet company standards for background and reference checks, controlled substance testing, and behavioral selection survey.
- Maintain composure in dealing with authorities, executives, clients, staff, and the public occasionally under conditions of urgency and in pressure situations.
- Work in environments and under conditions that require carrying authorized weapons and ammunition, the use of protective gear and devices, and/or awareness of personal safety and safety of others.
- Exposure to sensitive and confidential information.
- Regular computer usage.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must be able to see, hear, speak, and write clearly in order to communicate with employees and/or customers.
- Manual dexterity required for occasional reaching and lifting of small objects and operating office equipment.
- Close and distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequent sitting, standing and/or walking, which may be required for long periods of time, and may involve climbing stairs and walking up inclines and on uneven terrain.
- On occasion, may be required to perform stressful and physical activity.
- Travel, as required.
Pinkerton is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race/ethnicity, color, national origin, ancestry, sex/gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital/prenatal status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, religion, creed, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any protected status by local, state, federal or country-specific law.
*Current employees include Pinkerton and all Securitas divisions.